So if I ever meet Miranda Priestly (not as if I would recognize her on the streets), but I would seriously bitch slap her across the face. A of all there is no reason why that woman deserves all the praise and bowing and B of all- what would you do in Andy's (4" Jimmy Choo) shoes?
This book kept me going. I missed my subway stop a couple of times, because I didn't want to stop reading. I read over my lunch break- forgetting to eat lunch because I kept wanting to read the enduring pain and torture that Miranda Priestly put her indentured servants Andy & Emily through.
I felt every character's pain: Andy's life long pain every time the phone rang, or that scolding bark of "Ahn-dre-ah", Andy's pain in hoping that somehow this will make a difference in her life. Lily's pain of the whole college thing- but not wanting to do the college thing, so she goes drinking and gets herself into a little trouble (I can relate to that). Alex's pain of loosing the person you love to their own work and standing aside watching them grow different and there is nothing you can do about it. Emily's pain of being at Runway longer than Andy, but not having enough courage to quit a job that you hate only because there is some sort of tiny tiny tiny silver lining at the end.
In Andy's shoes- would you stop and give Starbuck's to the homeless that you pass every day on the streets- on Runway's credit card? (I would like to think I would.)
- would you stay in a job that you hate for as long as she did? (I do.)
- would you leave your family and best friend and boyfriend aside because work comes first? (I do that sometimes....- oops.)
- would you have the balls to tell your boss off to her face in the middle of a very important fashion show? (I dont think I would- not to her face.)
- would you be someone fake- just so you fit in with everyone else? (sometimes I do. sometimes I dont.)
- would you read this book again because it makes whatever misery in your life disappear, because nothing compares to having to work at Runway like that every day? (I would.)