Saturday, September 11, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia- Elizabeth Gilbert

This book, well I loved it. Loved it so much that I read it in one afternoon- start to finish- one afternoon. Every woman goes through the spiral of emotion that Elizabeth Gilbert goes through. It just took her to Italy, India and Indonesia to find herself. I wish I could do that.... But then again, my downward spiral of emotion is more like, "Where am I going to get my next job?", "Do I want pasta AGAIN for dinner?", "How am I going to afford rent?" not nearly as deep of a spiral as Elizabeth's.

Italy has got to be my favorite. The language is beautiful, the scene is beautiful, the imagery is beautiful. Ohhh.... how I wish I could just eat all that splendid Italian food and hang out with those amazing Italian men.  Ok, Anne, stooop drooling.

India was a struggle to get through for me. Frankly, I am not as religious/spiritual as people think and don't have that much self discipline. I couldn't even sit still on a wooden bench at the beach, reading this book, let alone sitting without moving for 2 hours with mosquitoes crawling and biting every aspect of my body.  I would much rather sleep and pig out with my M&Ms than motivate myself to get up early and meditate. Nope- not for me. I did kinda find it enlightening though, when she finally "gets it".

Indonesia was ok. The plot thickened and Indonesia had more of a beginning, middle and end in itself than the others. For some reason, I knew that this book was going to have a tidy ending and everything was going to wrap up. Not sure if I liked that or not.

There are some things that keep sticking to me....such as the WORD that is you. I've been thinking about this and well I think my word is FOCUS. It's been on my mind a lot lately. (Thank you thesis defense.) My friend Will thinks that "Just Do It" is my personal slogan... however, he thinks it is more of a "Just Fuckin DO IT!" I am a DO-ER, but slowly learning how to not always be. So I think it is...

FOCUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment