Friday, October 8, 2010

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
by Julie Powell

Just like most- the book was better than the movie. The movie added drama (like movies should). Having watched the movie before reading the book, I kept waiting for things that happened in the movie...and they never happened in the book. The book explored more of Julie's job and how cooking was her outlet. The movie explored her marriage and how cooking helped/hurt the relationship. The movie also paralleled the story of Julia Child with the story of Julie Powell; whereas the book inserts Julia's letters and quotes.

I admire Julie's stubbornness, I mean persistence, in setting her mind to a project and not quitting until the job is done. I have had several "big plans" to do a project until it's finished, or every day for a year, but most of the time those "big ideas" fizzle and fade away after day three. So, congrats Julie for finishing, unlike so many of us out here. I also have to compliment Julie's husband for sticking with it, even at the crazy times.

This book reminds me of my best friend, Heather. She's very much a foodie and always makes magical meals when I visit. Her husband brews his own beer and creates cocktail creations. I'm sure that she could finish Julia Child's cookbook, complete with breakdowns and amazingness!

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Yes, I could give Julie a run for her money in breakdowns!

    ReplyDelete